Chinook Wawa and its strong connection to BC
The Chinook Wawa (or Chinook Jargon, as it is sometimes known) moved north to British Columbia after the 1846 border treaty forced the Hudson’s Bay Company to relocate above the 49th parallel.
Today, groups of speakers on both sides of the border are working to reclaim this useful and historical language.
- Chinook Wawa Bible History
- Jay Powell interviewed by Sam Sullivan in Chinook Wawa
- Elders speaking Chinook Wawa in British Columbia
- Can You Speak British Columbian? Part II
- Can You Speak British Columbian?
To learn more about this fascinating language, visit BC Chinook Jargon